Thursday, September 12, 2013

forty-four

Yesterday was my birthday, and it was a lovely day! There are a couple of things that I especially like to consider at this time every year. Some of you may have heard me share about this before (:

The first is a conversation Meredith and I shared when she was about eight years old. She was very upset one day - not a usual thing for my even-keeled, joyful girl - and I asked her what was on her mind. She shared that she never ever wanted to be ten. There was absolutely no way that she was ready to be "all grown up" and leave home! For some reason, she had decided that ten was all grown up.

We talked for a little while, and God was so faithful to give me the words to say. I shared that whatever age we are, God meant for us to be that age. We talked about how God made us, and that when He did that, it was for His joy. Meredith reminded me that God has plans for us, and with that came a big smile. She remembered the promise! I assured her that when the time came for her to be ten, God would help her be ready to be ten.

As you can imagine, God had a lot to say to me in that conversation as well. And each year on the eleventh, I remember that He has called me to be the age that I am.

The second is a conversation with my Grandmother on her ninetieth birthday. I asked her that day how it felt to be ninety. She told me that she really didn't feel much different on the inside than she had when she was twenty or so. "I have learned some things, have grown, but other than that I am still the same me."

That moment with Grandmother was precious for the memory of time to share with her. It is also precious as a moment that the Father used to show me something that has blessed my heart more than I can express. You see, it hints at the promise He has made of eternity. Do you see it? Take a moment and consider, and I think you will.

I feel the same way that Grandmother did, don't you? I look in the mirror and see a few wrinkles and other changes, but the me that I am is who I have always been. Again, yes (and thankfully), I have learned some things and will continue to do so. Ultimately, though, I was made for forever with Him. Fully recognizable as me for always to the One whose idea I was in the first place. Joy! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment