Well, time is flying and it's getting a bit late for chicken salad, but I can't resist making it every now and then even in the cooler months ^_^ The base for this recipe came from Mom, of course, and I have adapted it for what we like best. It is one of our very favorites, and I hope you will enjoy it, too ♥
Chunky Chicken Salad
1.5 to 2.5 pounds of white meat chicken, cooked
four to eight eggs, hard boiled and then chopped
four to six Gala apples, chopped
one cup of pecans, chopped
Miracle Whip (to taste)
• Cook the chicken (can boil on top of the stove or bake with water, margarine and a little salt and pepper). Cut or tear cooked chicken by hand into bite sized pieces (we like it either way, but not torn so that it is stringy).
• Boil the eggs, cool, remove shells, and chop.
• Chop the pecans.
• Peel, slice, and chop the apples.
• Mix all of the above in a large bowl, and add the Miracle Whip - mix well.
(start with a cup or so and add if needed until you have the consistency you like)
• Cover and refrigerate until time to serve.
Notes: I use a hand chopper for the eggs and pecans, and I chop the apples by hand. We do not like the ingredients chopped too finely - "chunky" is better ^_^ hence the name.
My Mom was a die-hard Miracle Whip fan, and this recipe is delicious. Jamie is anti-MW big time, but he agrees that MW is best in this case. So, be brave and try MW in this one!
You can substitute ingredients for the seasons! We like this combo all year round, but you could sub grapes (halved) for the apples in the summer. You could add some cranberries to the above ingreds for fall. It is good without the pecans if you are not a nut fan.
We like this plain on a plate as a main entree, in sandwiches, on a bed of baby spinach leaves, and on crackers ^_^ I have never tried "melts" with this one, but I am guessing it would be scrumptious!