Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Josephine's Cranberry Apple Casserole

What wonderful memories are tucked into this dish! Grandmother made this at my request every Christmas, and even thinking of it shouts her name to my heart and brings such sweet memories to mind.

I made it for the first time this year and peeled apples and cried as I shared some special stories and memories with Ila. For example, Grandmother could peel apples more precisely (and quickly) than anyone I have known. She managed to visit with us, to allow us to help, and to peel all at the same time -- removing just the peeling, none of the fruit. Her apple peels were almost see-through they were so thin, and they made wonderful jewelry ^_^ as well as great treats for the birds and squirrels.

Another new experience for me was baking with fresh cranberries - neat! The cranberries and I stared at each other for a while as I tried to decide what to do with them. Should I pre-heat them with sugar as I do other fruits? Should I forget about them and just go with canned? How I wished for Grandmother! In the end, I figured it out and the result was just as I remembered. I hope you will enjoy it, too ♥

Josephine's Cranberry Apple Casserole


apples (4 granny smith, 1 gala), peeled & chopped
2 cups fresh cranberries, washed
2 cups sugar
1+1/2 cups quick oats
1/2 cup margarine, melted
1 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup plain flour

Preheat oven to 325 degrees

Mix chopped apples with cranberries.
Spread fruit evenly over the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking dish.
Pour sugar over the fruit.

Mix oatmeal, brown sugar, flour, pecans, and margarine.
Sprinkle evenly over the fruit and sugar.

Bake for 1 hour. Can be served warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!

Notes:
• Do not chop your apples too finely, they should be chunky.
• I like the above combination of Granny Smith and Gala best, but you can use whatever apples you like best. You need 3-4 cups of chopped apples.
• You don't need to do anything to the cranberries ^_^ just wash them and pick out any yucky ones and add them in just as they are.
• I am an old fashioned oats person, but quick oats really do suit this recipe best.
• This recipe sounds like it will be super sweet, but the end result really is a good, tart fruit casserole with a gently sweet crumble topping.
• An excellent pairing with tea or coffee for a snack, it also makes a wonderful accompaniment to roasted turkey or chicken. It can be topped with vanilla ice cream and served as a dessert, and it would be a scrumptious addition to a holiday breakfast table ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment