Tuesday, January 27, 2015

why do they?

Dear Mom,
   God loves everybody, right? Even the people who go to hell?
Why do they go to hell? Why do they suffer for always?
 Love,
Meredith

P.S. I don't feel like I agree with that!
I'm supposed to agree with God!

=====

I have asked my sweetlings to always, always try to communicate with me. No matter the question, no matter the subject --even if it's embarrassing or if they think I might not like what they have to say-- ask me, talk to me! Talk to me, whisper it, write me a note, sing it, rap it, send me an email or a text - whatever they have to do to let me know what they are thinking and wondering about.

I can't promise them to always have the answer, but I do promise that I can always listen, try my best to hear and understand - and I will certainly pray with them.

=====

The little note above was on my desk last night when I sat down. Meredith came by once she knew that I had had time to see and read it so we could talk it over. Sometimes she prefers that I write back to her (if the subject in an eye-roller or a cheek pinker), but she wanted a discussion this time!

She was upset and full of questions at realizing that she wasn't sure she agreed with God on this topic. I love her earnest heart, and that she would take the time to try to find out more. My answers to her were: yes, yes, they choose to, they choose to (along with a discussion that went something like this...)

=====

God does love every single person. The Bible says He made us, and we are His. It also says that He loves the world so much that He gave His only son that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. God did not come to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. He does not want a single one of us to be lost.

God chooses to love us, whether we choose to love Him back or not.

God loves us so much that He gave us a choice. He did not make us slaves or mindless creatures. We get to choose whether to love Him or not. God is Creator, we are created. He gets to make the rules - period. Even so, he loves us so much, wants to be with us and wants us to know Him, so He made a way in spite of our sin (which He cannot tolerate).

Christ came to save us from sin - a debt of life that we owe and can never pay on our own - and He died for us freely, as a gift. If we accept the gift of salvation, not only are our sins forgiven, but we get to spend forever in the presence of God. The Bible tell us quite plainly that there is only one way to that forever - Jesus Christ. Eternity with Him (heaven) or eternity without Him (hell) - it is our choice.

It's the "people suffering forever" part that Meredith was most upset over. Why would God do that? Well, simply put, God doesn't do that, we do. And if that is what we choose, He loves us well enough not to make us do otherwise ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment