Wednesday, April 20, 2016

when she says "Hey, Mom..."

Meredith and I were working together in the kitchen just a little while ago. As usual, she was emptying the dishwasher while I was working on projects and cleaning up after supper. She was listening to music on her phone with one ear bud in and one out, and I was quietly planning the rest of the week in my mind --when she said what have come to be two of my favorite words ever: "Hey, Mom..."

It's the gentle way she says those two little words together (combined with the power of that ellipsis) that gets me every time! I slow to still and quiet and tune my heart to listen to hers.

We spent about twenty (priceless!) minutes talking about everything from pirates (aye!) to plans for soon and for years from now. We laughed a lot and teared up a little, and she rolled her eyes at my inherent "Quinne-ness" as I enjoyed all things "Miss M".

Oh, the gift of living these days. To walk with my girl as she becomes, to be one that she seeks out for deeper relationship, to stand at the receiving point of that gentle phrase and then her heart ♥

4 comments:

  1. Oh, sweet Quinne! I just discovered that you're still writing over here in this space. I have checked from time to time but it must have always been in a season where you were quiet. What a treat!
    I loved this post, and I feel the same treasuring moments with my Ella, who is a dear sweet friend of my heart. Blessings to you and Miss M!
    ~Stacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy! Hi ♥ thank you for the sweet note. Love and bushels of hugs to you and Ella!

      Delete
  2. Love..... her, you and the chance that God has given me to be "in tune" with you both. How special mother/daughter....nothing like the relationship, is there? The circle of life, dear Quinne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo ♥ We love you, too, and are so thankful that God keeps bringing us together with you!

      Delete